This article is for people who are trying to publish a book and get ISBN in Nigeria. Prior to now, getting your ISBN/ISSN as a Nigerian was a very difficult task.
You had to submit documents and generally, the processing time was above 2 weeks on average.
However thanks to The National Library of Nigeria, things have changed and you can now do it from the comfort of your home in a matter of minutes. Stay tuned!
ISBN: What Is It About?
The International Standard Book Number is a 10 or 13 digit code that identifies a published book for the purpose of marketing and supply.
It is unique to every publication and every edition of a particular book has to have a separate ISBN.
How Much Does It Cost To Get ISBN In Nigeria?
Getting your ISBN in Nigeria is far more affordable than in other countries. If you are doing it yourself, then you will spend anything from ₦2,500 to ₦3,000.
If an agent or book publisher will do it for you, you will have to negotiate with them.
What Are The Requirements For Getting An ISBN?
The only requirements are for getting an ISBN for your work is:
- The book you are publishing. You will need the preliminary pages.
- CAC certificate if you\’re registering as a company.
- Valid means of identification if you are registering as an individual.
For the last two, you will need to provide only one as applicable. The charges are the same.
How To Get ISBN For Your Book In Nigeria
The steps for getting an ISBN for your book is very easy, thanks to the NLN.
We will be seeing them below:
- Visit the official website of the National Library of Nigeria.
- At the top, you will see an option for ISBN/ISSN. Click on it or visit this page directly.
- Sign up or log in if you already have an account.
- On logging in, you will see a light blue button write, APPLY FOR ISBN. Click on it.
- Select your choice options on the next page, submit the required information and proceed.
Once you are done and make payment, your ISBN will pop up.
That was easy, right? You can also make good money helping people get their ISBNs online either in your company\’s name or theirs.
After this, you can now print your books and send them out to bookstores for marketing.
If you have any issues with their social media pages and contact form.
Last Updated 01/03/2023 (changed the application link)