The political landscape in Imo State has taken an intriguing turn as Governor Hope Uzodimma has chosen Barr. Nnedinma Ekomaru as his running mate for the upcoming 2023 governorship election.
This decision has generated significant interest and speculation among the public and political circles alike.
What this recent development means is that the incumbent Deputy Governor, Professor Placid Njoku, is out of the race.
In this article, we delve into five captivating facts about Nnedinma Ekomaru, shedding light on her background, accomplishments, and reasons behind her selection.
Who is Barr. Nnedinma Ekomaru? Here\’s what you need to know
- Lady Nnedinma Ekomaru is an accomplished lawyer who brings a wealth of legal expertise to her role as Governor Uzodimma\’s running mate. With an impressive career spanning over two decades, she has honed her skills in various areas of law. Ekomaru\’s extensive experience is expected to contribute significantly to the Uzodimma administration\’s legal strategies and decision-making processes.
- Nnedinma Ekomaru hails from the Umunoha community, in the Mbaitoli local government area of Imo State. Her roots in the local community reflect a deep understanding of the challenges and aspirations of the people she will serve if elected.
- Barrister Ekomaru is married to Chief Chukwuma Ekomaru, a distinguished Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN). Her husband isn\’t new to Imo State politics, as he ran for governorship under the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the 2019 general elections. He was also a Commissioner in Governor Achike Udenwa\’s Government.
- Nnedinma Ekomaru is a devout Christian and a member of the Anglican Church. Her husband is the Registrar of the Anglican Diocese of Owerri.
In running with her, Gov Uzodimma isn\’t just showing his sensitivity to gender equality, but also proving that he is sensitive to the feelings of the two major religious denominations in the State – the Roman Catholic and Anglican denominations.
- Governor Uzodimma\’s decision to select Nnedinma Ekomaru as his running mate was not mere speculation or lobbying. An aide of the Governor confirmed that Ekomaru\’s name has been officially submitted to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) headquarters in Abuja. This formal submission underscores the seriousness of Governor Uzodimma\’s intention to elevate Ekomaru to a prominent leadership role in the state\’s governance structure.
The emergence of Nnedinma Ekomaru as Governor Hope Uzodimma\’s running mate for the 2023 governorship election in Imo State marks a significant milestone in the state\’s political landscape. Her impressive legal background, commitment to women\’s empowerment, and deep roots in the local community provide a strong foundation for effective leadership.
As the election season unfolds, it will be fascinating to witness the impact of Nnedinma Ekomaru\’s candidacy and the potential transformation she could bring to Imo State if elected.