A prepaid meter is a type of energy meter that lets you pay for energy before you use it. This type of meter is also known as a pay-as-you-go meter. Prepaid meters are used with a smartcard, token or key that can be topped up at a shop or via a smartphone app. The balance on the meter declines over time as you use that energy, whether it’s turning on the heating or cooking dinner.
The process of upgrading a prepaid meter refers to the process of replacing an old meter with a new one that has more advanced features.
How To Upgrade Prepaid Meter Online
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to upgrade your prepaid meter online:
- Purchase an electricity token. You will receive 3 tokens, the first 2 of which are key change tokens and the 3rd is your new token.
- Visit the website of your electricity distribution company (DisCo) and navigate to the “upgrade meter” section.
- Enter your meter number in the space provided and click “Get KCT”.
- Type into your meter the KCT 1 given.
- Type into your meter the KCT 2 given.
Congratulations, your meter has been upgraded
Please note that the process may vary slightly depending on your DisCo. If you encounter any issues, please contact your DisCo for assistance.
Upgrading your prepaid meter on time is important because the current software for all prepaid electricity meters in the world, including Nigeria, will expire on 24th of November 2024. This is called TID Rollover. If you don’t upgrade your prepaid meter, you won’t be able to recharge your meter or use electricity.