Netflix is one of the most popular streaming platforms in the world, and it is becoming increasingly important for Nigerian filmmakers to have their films on the service.
Netflix has a large and growing audience in Nigeria, and it offers filmmakers a great opportunity to reach a global audience.
In this blog article, I will explain how to submit a film to Netflix in Nigeria. I will also discuss some of the challenges that Nigerian filmmakers face when trying to get their films on Netflix, and I will offer some tips for overcoming these challenges.
Netflix is a popular online streaming platform that offers a wide variety of movies, TV shows, documentaries, and original content. It was founded in 1997 and has since grown into one of the leading providers of entertainment worldwide.
Netflix allows subscribers to access a vast library of content that can be streamed instantly on various devices such as smartphones, tablets, computers, and smart TVs. It revolutionized the way people consume media by introducing the concept of on-demand streaming, where viewers can choose what they want to watch and when they want to watch it.
Netflix is known for its diverse range of content, including genres from drama and comedy to action and romance, catering to the preferences of a global audience. The platform has gained immense popularity due to its convenience, affordability, and commitment to producing high-quality original programming.
Pricing varies in different countries, and for Nigeria, it\’s as follows:
- Netflix Mobile Plan – ₦1,200 (available for mobile devices, SD streaming)
- Netflix Basic Plan – ₦2,900 (1 screen at a time, SD streaming)
- Netflix Standard Plan – ₦3,600 (2 screens at a time, HD streaming)
- Netflix Premium Plan – ₦4,400 (4 screens at a time, Ultra HD streaming)
Having your film on Netflix can bring numerous benefits to your filmmaking journey, especially when targeting a Nigerian audience.
Let\’s explore some of the advantages:
Firstly, Netflix allows you to reach a global audience, including Nigeria. With over 200 million subscribers in more than 190 countries, your film can be accessed by viewers from all around the world. This means that Nigerians and people from various cultures and backgrounds can discover and enjoy your work, helping you gain exposure on an international scale.
In addition, Netflix offers the opportunity to earn revenue from your film. As a filmmaker, you can receive payment from Netflix for the rights to stream your content. This financial compensation rewards your talent and hard work, providing support for future projects and allowing you to invest further in your craft.
Furthermore, having your film on Netflix helps you build your brand as a filmmaker. The platform\’s wide recognition and popularity enable you to establish yourself and attract new fans. By being associated with Netflix, you enhance your reputation and gain credibility in the industry, which can open doors to exciting opportunities for collaboration and growth.
With Netflix\’s global reach, financial rewards, and brand-building potential, having your film featured on the platform can significantly impact your career as a Nigerian filmmaker. It allows you to showcase your talent to a vast audience, earn recognition, and take significant strides toward achieving your goals. So, embrace the opportunity and explore the possibilities that Netflix can bring to your filmmaking journey in Nigeria.
Does Netflix Accept Submissions?
Here\’s the thing, Netflix accepts submissions, but only through someone who already has a relationship with them. In order words, Netflix is unable to accept \’unsolicited submissions\’.
If you have an idea, screenplay, script, game, or production already in development that you’d like to pitch to Netflix, you must work through a licensed agent, producer, manager, attorney, manager, or industry executive, as appropriate, who already has a relationship with the streaming platform.
How Netflix sources its content
At Netflix, there is a team of creative executives and buyers who are responsible for selecting the content that appears on the platform. They actively listen to ideas and proposals from talented individuals and agencies in the creative community. This means that if you have a great idea for a film or series, you can pitch it to Netflix for consideration.
Netflix also has strong connections with the creative community and talent agencies. These relationships help them discover new projects and collaborate with talented individuals. So, if you\’re working with a talent agency or have connections in the creative industry, you might have a chance to propose your ideas through them.
Sometimes, Netflix even looks for completed works at film festivals or other established events. If your film has been screened at a festival or received recognition, it might catch the attention of Netflix, who could be interested in acquiring it for their platform.
Additionally, Netflix generates its own ideas internally. They have a team of creative minds who come up with new concepts and stories. If they believe in an idea, they may hire talented people to develop it further into a full-fledged project. This means that Netflix not only considers external submissions but also nurtures creativity from within its own team.
With these different avenues for content acquisition, Netflix ensures a diverse and captivating selection of films and series. They value fresh ideas and talent, whether they come from individuals like you or from their own creative team. So, if you have a fantastic idea or have already created a remarkable film, Netflix could be the platform that brings your work to a larger audience.
What to do as an independent filmmaker?
If you have an idea, screenplay, script, or production that you\’re working on and want to pitch it to Netflix, you\’ll need to go through a licensed literary agent or someone who already has a connection with them.
Netflix prefers to work with licensed literary agents or individuals who already have an established relationship with them. These agents or contacts can help you navigate the process of submitting your work to Netflix and increase your chances of getting noticed.
By going through a licensed literary agent or someone with a pre-existing relationship, you\’ll have a better opportunity to showcase your talent and present your ideas to Netflix. They can guide you through the submission process and ensure that your work receives the attention it deserves.
So, if you have a remarkable idea or an ongoing project that you believe would be a great fit for Netflix, reach out to a licensed literary agent or explore connections within the industry to help you make that important connection with Netflix.
NOTE: If you\’re looking for assistance in connecting with Netflix to pitch your idea or project, feel free to reach out to us. We can provide guidance and support to help you navigate the process and increase your chances of getting your work noticed by Netflix. Don\’t hesitate to contact us for expert advice on submitting your content to this global platform.
Netflix alternatives for Nigerian filmmakers
While Netflix is a highly sought-after platform for filmmakers, there are also alternative avenues for Nigerian filmmakers to showcase their work. Here are a few notable alternatives:
- iROKOtv: iROKOtv is a leading online streaming platform that specializes in African content, including Nigerian films and series. It offers a vast library of Nollywood movies and TV shows, providing a dedicated platform for Nigerian filmmakers to reach a local and international audience.
- Africa Magic: Africa Magic is a popular channel network owned by MultiChoice, which operates the DStv and GOtv platforms. It showcases a wide range of African content, including Nigerian films and TV series. Filmmakers can explore opportunities to have their work featured on Africa Magic channels and gain exposure to a substantial African viewership.
- YouTube: YouTube provides a global platform for filmmakers to share their content with a wide audience. Nigerian filmmakers can create their own YouTube channels and upload their films, short films, web series, or even trailers. This allows for direct engagement with viewers, the potential to monetize content, and the opportunity to build a loyal fan base.
- Film Festivals: Participating in local and international film festivals provides exposure and networking opportunities for Nigerian filmmakers. Festivals like the Africa International Film Festival (AFRIFF) and the Eko International Film Festival (EKOIFF) showcase Nigerian and African cinema, attracting industry professionals and audiences who appreciate independent and diverse content.
Currently, the Imo International Film Festival (IMOIFF) is accepting submissions from filmmakers in Nigeria and beyond. To submit your movie, kindly visit the submissions page on Film Free Way.
- Local Cinemas: Nigerian filmmakers can explore the option of releasing their films in local cinemas. This allows for a theatrical experience and the opportunity to attract a Nigerian audience. Collaborating with distribution companies or working independently, filmmakers can negotiate deals to screen their films in cinemas across Nigeria.
- Online VOD Platforms: Aside from Netflix, there are other video-on-demand (VOD) platforms that may accept Nigerian content. Examples include Amazon Prime Video, Vimeo On Demand, and Vudu. These platforms offer opportunities to reach a global audience and generate revenue through streaming.
It\’s important for Nigerian filmmakers to research and evaluate these alternatives based on their specific goals, target audience, and distribution preferences. Each platform offers its own advantages and considerations, so exploring multiple avenues can increase the chances of success in reaching a wide viewership and making an impact in the Nigerian and international film industry.
If you need assistance in submitting your work to any of the alternative platforms mentioned above, we\’re here to help. Feel free to reach out to us using the contact information provided on our contact page. We can provide guidance and support to help you navigate the submission process and increase your chances of getting your content showcased on these platforms. Don\’t hesitate to contact us for expert advice and assistance in reaching your filmmaking goals.